Elvis Week 2019 kicks off on August 9! While Graceland has a full schedule of events, local Memphis businesses are getting in on the Elvis fun, too. Here are some of the unofficial special events and deals going on around town.
photo by Phillip Parker
Visiting from out of town? You might like the Memphis Cheat Sheet, too.
OK, here’s your list:
– The Mighty Lights bridge light show will honor Elvis with graphics and surprise song lyrics during Elvis Week, starting on Saturday August 10th on the Hernando de Soto Bridge.
– Lafayette’s Music Room in Overton Square will host the annual George Klein Tribute Show on Sunday, August 12th at 4 p.m. at Lafayette’s. The show will feature renowned Memphis musicians like Carla Thomas, Jason D. Williams, and William Bell. Get tickets here.
– Central BBQ will host photos with “Elvis” at three of their Memphis locations during Elvis Week, so you can sample some of the city’s favorite barbecue and have a fun photo op.
August 10, Downtown: noon – 2 p.m., 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
August 13, Midtown: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
August 14, Poplar Ave.: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
– Backbeat Tours offers their special Elvis-centric Hound Dog Tour only during Elvis Week. Ride on Backbeat’s signature vintage buses and learn about Elvis’ life and legacy from talented singing tour guides. Reserve your ticket online. Backbeat also offers rides to Graceland from five local pickup spots.
August 11 at 1 p.m.
August 14 at 1 p.m.
August 16 at 1 p.m.
– The Circuit Playhouse in Overton Square was once the Memphian Theater, the movie house that Elvis famously rented out for his all-night movie screenings. The Playhouse now offers $5 tours throughout the year, but especially during Elvis Week. Reservations only.
– The Arcade Restaurant in downtown Memphis will host an Elvis Tribute Show on Thursday, August 15th at 11:30 a.m. They’re also serving their signature Elvis Cake (banana cake with peanut butter frosting) all week, as well as the Elvis’ favorite fried peanut butter and banana sandwich that’s always on the menu.
– Overton Square is celebrating Elvis Week 2019 on Friday, August 16th with an Elvis “appearance” in Chimes Square courtyard performing and taking photos at 7 p.m. At 8 p.m., they’ll do an outdoor screening of Elvis’ film King Creole with free popcorn.
– The Halloran Centre hosts six Elvis shows from August 11 through the 14th, featuring music from different eras of Elvis Presley’s career with the world’s top Elvis Tribute Artists and bands. Expect everything from 50s Elvis to Las Vegas to Gospel and more. Check out the full schedule and get your tickets here.
Are you a local business offering deals, discounts, specials or otherwise finding a way to mark Elvis Week? Leave me a comment on this post with a link to the information, and I’ll add it to the post.
Read the full article at ilovememphis.com